Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016


The Ballad of Lenore (part 24)

Three days' mountainous going
The cold never did let up
We adapted and got used to it
Welcomed hot soup at night to sup

The icy road narrowed to a footpath
The dreaded Valley was now quite near
Supplies from the carts were distributed
Elandon ordered the carters to camp here

The warriors readied their weapons
My Bear Sword was sharpened and keen
"No fires tonight, we'll at them this dawn"
He said, "We'll have this Valley clean"

Oriel and I shared a tent as before
During the cold journey's nights
She'd taken to elbowing me when I snored
But this evening I couldn't sleep right

We'd seen no orcs, no sign of patrols
My worry was constant of discovery
And whether Baylen's army would arrive in time
And no small doubts for Father's recovery

No dreams for me, I saw the first light
And was up readying my mare
Oriel dressed silently also
Battle nerves and tension filled the air

Our approach downhill would be in stealth
Our bridles we muffled with rags
We moved single file down the footpath
All we'd need in our saddlebags


(to be continued)

©Kiku Koibito poem 2016 



No comments:

Post a Comment