Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

The Ballad of Lenore (Part 8)

Oriel had a gracious manner
She gestured up to the stair
Where stood a huge marble gryphon
On guard with a great marble bear

We smiled, I knew what she meant
Our families are set in stone
Danger felt is danger shared
We'll litter the ground with their bones!

"Why are you not called Princess?" she asked
"Your parents were High Queen and King."
"My father did not want to marry me off
By law, no strife could I bring"

"The Coastal Kings are a contentious lot.
Every one of them would kill to rise
I'll not be a bone in a pack of wolves
In this, my father was so wise."

"Gods bless them, though, they've joined as one
Prepared for the coming storm
All fighting armies mustered now
The Wakening Bear is formed."

"But all assembled soldiers
Look to be barely enough
The orcs have been breeding for too many years
And winter campaigns are so rough."

"They never come when convenient." she said
We'll be canceling the Winter Games."
"Have them in the Grimrocks Valley." I said
Count orcs' heads to honor great names" 

(to be continued)
©Kiku Koibito

No comments:

Post a Comment