Pages

Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Ballad of Lenore (Part 10)

Right back into my armour
Out the window, against a dark sky
Hundreds of lights, all different colors
It was shocking how many did fly

"Are there always that many?"
I asked of Oriel
"No, and usually only white"
Her manner was tense, I could tell

I lifted my arms, she girded my sword
"Oriel, why have our houses not met?"
She answered with a furrowed brow
"Elandon and your father forbade it."

"The Lady Ulwen Vesomere
Accused your brother of rape
Gaston Baylen denied it all
But bruises blacked her neck's nape."

I was stunned, almost protested
Then remembered the night that I
Had to give him a knee in the crotch myself
I was sickened, could not meet her eye

"Small wonder they did not tell me
But it would have been useful to know
He tried that trick on me one night
I left him screaming in pain from my blow."

"The Bear Sword stands for justice
You kindly girded to me
Gaston will answer for both crimes now
The Lady Vesomere is believed"

(to be continued)
©Kiku Koibito

No comments:

Post a Comment